The WLAN brings significant benefits such as flexibility, mobility and portability to users. WLAN provides employees in the job industry the mobility to work virtually anywhere in their work area, their desk, conference room, or even multi-story office. This flexibility supports productivity and service opportunities; and far outweighs the wired networks. Deployment of WLAN components is very easy and no pulling cable through walls and ceilings is needed.
WLAN increases employee productivity, lower the organization operational costs and facilitate applications like mobile POS (Point of Sale) terminals and Voice over wireless LAN (VoWLAN). By using the VoWLAN, employees are able to make outgoing calls and receive incoming calls with an IP or cellular network, communicate with others by using messages, gain high-speed access to shared information.
The following are some of the productivity benefits can be possibly achieved through the power and flexibility of WLAN:
- In the hospital, doctor can instantly deliver patient information to the nurse by using handheld or notebook computers with WLAN capability
- Staffs at hotels use WLAN connectivity to facilitate access to shared information and information exchanges. They are more productive because they can instantly obtain guest information from the front desk.
- Retail store staffs use mobile POS terminals to simply connect to POS application system and place an order, check inventory status. This helps them to save time and to be more productive.
- Warehouse workers could increase their productivity by using WLAN to connect to central databases for exchange of information.
- Senior executives in conference rooms able to make decision quickly and precisely as they have real-time information while using WLAN connection.